ScrnShots AppleScript Upload Folder Action
Posted on June 5, 2008
The first, is a folder action for Mac OS X that lets you drop images onto it and they are automatically uploaded to your ScrnShots account.
DISCLAIMER: This script was created fairly quickly and is very simple. It is in no way complete or robust in its error handling. If you find any bugs or errors, please post a comment below and I will update the script as necessary.
Here are the steps to get the folder action setup:
- Download the ScrnShots Folder Uploader (1.0) script file.
- Put the above file in "~/Library/Scripts/Folder Action Scripts" (create the folder if it does not already exist)
- Double click the script file to open it in the script editor, then edit the following code at the top of the file to include your ScrnShots username and password:
- -- SETTINGS
- -- Update to be your username
- property user_name : "INSERT YOUR USERNAME HERE"
- -- Update to be your password
- property user_password : "INSERT YOUR PASSWORD HERE"
- Create a new folder on your desktop called "Upload to ScrnShots"
- Right click the folder and select "More > Enable Folder Actions"
- Right click the folder again and select "More > Attach a Folder Action..."
- From the file selector, select the downloaded applescript file in "~/Library/Scripts/Folder Action Scripts/ScrnShots Folder Uploader"
- Voila! You should now be able to drag images onto that folder and they will upload to ScrnShots! After a screenshot us uploaded it moves it into the "Uploaded" folder.
Hope this is useful to anyone who needs to quickly upload screennshots without using the ScrnShots Desktop app.
If you really want to make the Folder Action cool, create an icon for the folder and add it to your dock. Then you get immediate access to upload images to screenshots with the drag of a file. I've tried this out with Skitch and it works beautifully.
Please post any bug, comments or code updates below! Enjoy.